The nodes of the moon are physical points of the moon’s orbit as related to the Earth. There is the North Node and South Node. Traditionally, the North Node represents your soul’s karmic mission, what you NEED to continue ascending the evolutionary spiral. The house and sign your North Node is in represent challenges and things that require effort. These are not areas of your life or character you can gloss over; the North Node will exert itself one way or another. The South Node represents that which you carry in from past incarnations, behaviors and tendencies so basic to your character that they are often subconsciously motivating your actions and feelings. The sign and house of your chart where your South Node falls represents stuff you “get away with,” stuff that you may not even realize you are doing.
I like to look at the nodes in charts because I feel there is always an intuitive jolt of recognition when someone takes a look at the sign and house where these points are located.
I have compiled some very good pages about this topic and present them to you here for your perusal at leisure 🙂
- Nodes of the Moon – Spiritual Life Lessons, via CafeAstrology.com
- South Node: The Point of Karmic Blowback, via North Bay Astrology
- North Node Is In…, a compilation of all the nodes in all the signs, via Depth Astrology
- The Moon’s Nodes in a Birth Chart, by Dane Rudhyar
- Moon’s Nodes in the Houses, by Marianne O’Hagan
- The Nodes of the Moon as Karmic Indicators, via MysticMarguerite.com
- The Nodal Axis, via EsotericOnline.net
- North Node Astrology: Rediscovering Your Life Direction and Soul Purpose, by Elizabeth Spring, who also maintains the great blog NorthNodeAstrology.com, which is all about such things
There’s a TON of resources online and in print about nodal astrology. The nodes also figure prominently in Vedic astrology.
I find the nodal axis fascinating and full of juicy info to unpack when looking at a chart. The nodes seem to indicate what an individual’s soul dilemma will be in an incarnation, and can indicate where a native is unconscious about his or her motivations (south node) and where the challenges which lead to soul evolution lie (north node).